Are you looking to jazz up your basic chicken recipe?
Well look no further, I have the perfect recipe for you. Braised ginger chicken or “gà kho gưng” is a popular comfort food for many Vietnamese families. It’s usually served with white rice and simple blanched vegetable like water spinach or sliced cucumbers.
For the chicken, it’s best to use dark meat like thighs or drumstick for maximum flavor. You can use boneless or bone-in with or without skin. Personally, I like it with bones and skin. Just make sure to cut it into bite size pieces. I was able to find drumsticks that was already chopped, so it definitely cut back on the prep time.
After making the caramel sauce, the rest is pretty easy. This dish can be prepared in about 30 minutes from start to finish.
Keto Caramelized Ginger Chicken
- 1/4 cup allulose sweetener
- 1-2 pounds chicken thighs cut into small chunks
- 1-2 tsp caramel sauce
- 1 minced shallot
- 1/2 ginger sliced into matchsticks
- 1 tbsp mushroom seasoning
- 1-2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1/4-1/2 can of coconut sparkling water
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Keto Caramel Sauce: Preheat skillet on medium high heat. Add in allulose when pan is hot. Allow the sugar to dissolve and swirl it around the pan. The color should gradually change from white to a nice golden brown color. This should take approximately 5 minutes. Remove from pan into a glass container.
- Heat up a skillet and add in fat of choice. Once hot, add in the chicken.
- Saute for a few minutes until all visible pink is gone.
- Add in caramel sauce and mix with chicken.
- Push chicken to one side, add in shallots and ginger. Saute for a minute.
- Flavor the chicken with mushroom seasoning & fish sauce.
- Add in sparkling water. More caramel sauce if it's looking too pale.
- Taste and adjust seasoning (more fish sauce or more sparkling water).
- Turn heat to low and allow chicken to simmer with the lid on.
- Flavor should be infused and ready to be eaten in about 15-20 minutes of cooking.